Watch how to make this recipe! See below for ingredients and written instructions.
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serves: 4 Servings
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 lb turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the melted butter, garlic salt and ¼ teaspoon sage. Brush the mixture over the cut sides and cavity of the acorn squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the squash halves cut side up in a large roasting pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until the squash is tender yet still holds its shape.
- Meanwhile make the stuffing: Cook the sausage in a skillet until light brown. Remove to a colander to drain. Drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings from frypan. Add onion, celery and saute 4 minutes. Stir in apple and saute 2 more minutes.
- Combine the sausage, vegetables in a large bowl.
- Taste and season with cinnamon, maple syrup, salt or pepper if needed (depending on your sausage you may not want to add more seasoning).
- Stir in the egg.
- Fill the squash halves with stuffing-they should be slightly mounded.
- Return to oven and bake, covered, for 20 more minutes, until the egg is set.