Summer Barley Salad
Author: Dee McCaffrey
Serves: 6 (serving size = 1⁄2 cup barley mixture over 1 cup greens)
Barley is a wonderfully versatile whole grain with a rich nutlike flavor and an appealing chewy, pasta-like consistency.
- Ingredients for Dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Ingredients for Salad:
- ¾ cup hulled barley
- ½ cup frozen petite peas, thawed1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- ½ cup zucchini, diced
- ½ cup carrot, diced
- 12 small cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill (or dried)
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 cups Spring Mix, or other leafy green salad mix
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add barley, reduce heat and simmer, until barley is tender and chewy, about 40 to 50 minutes. Drain barley in a colander and rinse with cold water. Allow barley to cool to room temperature or cool it faster by refrigerating it.
- While barley is cooking, combine dressing ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Dice the celery, carrots, red onion and zucchini. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Place them all in a large bowl with the corn and peas.
- When barley is cooled, add it to the bowl. Add in the minced fresh dill and the dresing, then toss to mix thoroughly.
- To serve, line individual salad plates with 1 cup Spring Mix. Spoon ½ cup barley mixture into center. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Serve immediately.